Article by BHM
December 7, 2017 at 5:29 pm
Charity news | Race news
Charity of the Week: RISE
We don’t for a minute under-estimate the hard-work, sacrifice, chafing and blisters it takes to complete a 13 mile run… which is why we’re so grateful to each and every amazing person who chooses to run for us!
One of our runners in last year’s event said: “It made such a massive difference running for a charity that were really kind and felt like you valued our efforts. RISE takes on such an important role keeping the community safe from domestic abuse, but it was really admirable how much you also managed to take care of me and the other runners today. It was a privilege to run for you.”
In the lead up to the race another runner was given a £10 donation at a local community meeting in Brighton, by someone who said that RISE had helped her leave an abusive situation and start a new life. Our lovely runner decided to carry this £10 note in her pocket during the race, to give her motivation when she started feeling tired at mile 10!
Whether you’ve got your own place or are looking for a charity to run for we’d love you to join Team RISE. In return we’ll give you:
- Access to support and running seminars through for FREE via our brilliant partners Studio 57.
- A fabulous goody-bag overflowing with treats (all kindly donated from an array of awesome local companies).
- Access to the RISE tent in the athlete’s village on race day for you, your friends and family. Our tent promises to be awash with all the cake you can eat, and plenty of hugs.
- You also get a fetching hot pink running vest to make you stand out to our teams of cheer squads who will be encouraging Team RISE runners on their way around the 13 mile course.
A staggering 1 in 4 women will be affected by domestic abuse in their lifetime, but RISE believes that no-one should live in fear of abuse and violence. With the help of our supporters RISE is able to offer the following support to residents of Brighton & Hove:
- The only local domestic abuse helpline
- A refuge with room for 15 families in urgent need
- An LGB&T service for survivors of domestic abuse, which was the first in England
- Support with criminal and civil proceedings
- Counselling and support groups
- Housing and finance information and solicitors appointments